Driving home in traffic for an hour definitely gives you time to think about how to be creative with dinner! Mac said he was making spaghetti. And quite frankly I wasn’t craving just any spaghetti. I love the man for trying, but sometimes a girl just needs to eat a bundle of creativeness!
The craving for lemon sauce, asparagus, and sweet peas in my pasta came to mind. I think the idea was sparked by something I saw on Pinterest the other day.
And the nice thing is… the sauce is super easy to make.
Now trying to catch the end of daylight for all these pictures was tough. Can you see the difference between prep and plate?
Sliced the canned asparagus spears in half. Cut the lemon in half. And drain the can of sweet peas. Of course, this is the semi-homemade version. Who has time to blanch and all that stuff when you’ve worked a full day?!
Drop 2 Tablespoons of butter in the pan on medium heat.
Melt and Swirl.
Add two tablespoons of flour and mix to make your white Roux (Rooooooo).
And… darn it. If you are like me and forgot to buy the rich cream… add a cup of milk.
Mac was my hand model for this pic and now thinks he is famous.
Give a few good grinds of cracked pepper.
Add white cooking wine. This particular brand already has the salt in it. If you use regular white wine, just add salt, to taste.
Pour half the lemon juice. Taste. I love a really lemony taste. So I pour in all of the juice.
Add some fresh parsley.
Throw in desired amount of asparagus & sweet peas and mix. Serve on hot pasta.
And when you plate the spaghetti, serve it with a delicious herb salad topped with Gruyère and fresh strawberries. Oh yes, don’t forget the garlic bread. Recipe for the Pasta with Lemon Sauce, Asparagus and Peas is below.
I finally gave in to buying the little cups of ice cream. Especially, because they had the Starbuck’s Java Chip Frappuccino (it always takes me at least 2-3 times to correctly spell the ‘ppuccino’ in cappuccino or frappuccino). Anyone else have this problem?
And I ate it up with the little spoon Jennifer sent me in my Foodie PenPal package.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While cooking pasta, start sauce.
- Add butter to medium hot pan and melt. Add flour and whisk until mixed. Slowly add milk or cream. Continue mixing until incorporated.
- **Add more milk or cream if needed for thinning.
- Add the cracked pepper and white wine.
- OPTIONAL: Use a regular white wine. Then add salt, to taste.
- Then turn off heat. Add half the lemon juice. Taste. Add more, if needed. Throw in chopped parsley. Mix. Add in asparagus spears and peas. Mix.
- Serve over hot pasta!
Latest posts by Christine McCarthy (see all)
- Baked Blueberry-Coconut Oatmeal Recipe - December 7, 2013
- 5 Ways Not to Get Stressed Out This Holiday - December 3, 2013
- Tosi Superbites : A High Energy Gluten-Free Vegan Snack - December 2, 2013