Are you all Hunger Games ready? There are like 10 people going in my group tomorrow night! And when my family & friends go, we do one thing smart – pack our own movie snacks. Ladies, we don’t have big purses for nothing!
And if you do not bring your own snacks because you either desire the righteously expensive snacks as part of the ‘experience’, you feel guilty revolting against high prices or the movie option was a whim decision than you might want reconsider packing your own snacks.
Did you know that, according to Web MD, a large movie theater popcorn can pack a whopping 1,300 calories, with one to three days’ worth of saturated fat and up to 1,500 milligrams of sodium. And that large soda you like… up to 500 calories. Not to mention a crap load of sugar grams.
Do your health and your waistline a favor, bring your own snacks from home (not to mention you are helping to instill better values to those around you – like your kids). Here are 15 healthy alternatives to bring to the movies:
- Bottled water or club soda – lightly sweeten with fruit juice or Crystal Lite
- Homemade Trail mix – pretzels, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, and nuts
- Low-fat mozzarella string cheese
- 100 calories mini bag of popcorn
- Edamame or cherry tomatoes
- Red or green grapes
- Single-serve bag of Wheat Thins
- Apple slices with caramel dip (squirt lemon juice to keep slices fresh)
- Lesser Evil Krinkle Sticks or Kettle Corn
- Yogurt topped with blueberries and/or granola
- Single-serving hummus with sliced veggies
- Turkey Dogs (wrap in foil and go)
- Veggie Tortilla wraps
- dry cereal – Kashi or Cheerios
- Quaker rice cakes in Caramel Corn or Chocolate Crunch
Bringing your own snacks from home can save you (a ton of) money, taste way better, and is practically guilt free!
Question of the Day
What is your favorite snack that could be brought to the movies?
More Hunger Game stills can be found here.