I told you I dislike Swiss Cheese, right? But then I discovered Gruyère and now I am hooked. I still had a half a block of this wonderful stuff. And wondered if it could work in a grilled cheese sandwich. You know, the Grown-up Grilled Cheese sandwich of sorts. Well it works. And it works delightfully.
This is what you will need. Arugula, Prosciutto, Gruyère and a nice loaf of bread. Do you prefer butter or mayo to lather your bread for that golden crust?
First thing you need to do is slather your bread with butter or mayo. The pic above is just for illustrative purposes. Because you’ll need to flip one of those slices over to start browning your bread. The other slice just set to the side for now.
Lay some slices of gold (Grueyere) on that bread. I found a great loaf of German-Style Rye Bread.
Then lay a couple slices of prosciutto on top of that. Let the cheese melt a little. I’m glad the Italians learned how to dry-cure the meat.
Then add a handful of arugula. Just kind of pile it on top as good as you can. It’ll shrink a bit during cooking.
Layer some more gold on top to hold the arugula in.
Then add your other piece of mayo slathered bread, right side up. When one side is golden brown and the cheese is slightly melted, flip it over carefully and work on browning and melting the whole sandwich.
Well a girl’s gotta have her glass of Barefoot Moscato. It always makes cooking fun. And pairs quite well with this sandwich.
There you have it. A Gruyère, Prosciutto and Arugula Grown-up Grilled Cheese Sandwich on German-Style Rye bread. Served with a side of purple grapes. And on a paper plate. Because I am classy like that.
- Slather two pieces of bread with Mayo or Butter. Layer in order between bread slices (mayo side out): 1/2 cheese, proscuitto, arugula, 1/2 cheese. Heat pan. Add sandwich. Gently press down with a spatula once or twice during the grilling. When one side is golden, turn the sandwich over, and brown.
- Serve with purple grapes.
Do you have a favorite Grown-Up Grilled Cheese sandwich?
What I Ate Wednesday hosted by the fabulous Jenn over at Peas and Crayons. Breakfast: Scrambled egg whites with onions and spinach | Lunch: Salad with Jalapeño Caesar dressing | Dinner: A Gruyère, Prosciutto and Arugula Grown-up Grilled Cheese Sandwich on German-Style Rye bread.
Latest posts by Christine McCarthy (see all)
- 10 Inspirational, Beautiful and Funny TED Talk Videos to Definitely Watch - December 8, 2013
- Baked Blueberry-Coconut Oatmeal Recipe - December 7, 2013
- 5 Ways Not to Get Stressed Out This Holiday - December 3, 2013