Ever have that dilemma of ingredients needing to be used before they expired? That’s exactly what happened. I had strawberries in the fridge and jalapeños on the vine. And for some reason I got the inkling that they might pair well together.
And boy, was I right! I discovered I was in for a delightful treat with this fruit salsa. The sweetness of the red, juicy strawberries. The heat from my organic, patio grown jalapeños. A few more ingredients tossed in. And within 10 minutes and some flavor melding time, I had a delicious strawberry-jalapeño salsa.
I learned a new tidbit about the jalapeño pepper. Did you know that when they turn red on the vine, they are picked, smoked and dried, resulting in a chipotle pepper? I never knew that! And was happy to learn that tidbit. I didn’t even know they turned red until I saw it on my own vine! I had to Google why they were turning red!
As for the chips, I cut up flour tortillas in wedges, sprayed them with some cooking spray and dusted them with cinnamon sugar. Baked for 8-10 minutes at a 350 degree temp. My cinnamon-sugar mixture (which I keep on hand for toast in the morning) probably contains 60% cinnamon ratio. I kind of have a thing for the spice.
Let the salsa meld for about an hour and enjoy. I think it would be a hit at potluck.
- Mix all ingredients, up to lime, together in a medium size bowl. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let it sit in the fridge for about 1 hour for flavors to meld. Enjoy.
- Cut tortilla into 1/8ths
- Lay on baking sheet, preferably lined with foil
- Spray tops of wedges with cooking spray
- Sprinkle with some of the cinnamon-sugar mixture (store the rest in an air tight container)
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned
Question for you: Do you like your salsa mild or spicy hot? Chunky or picante salsa? Green or Red?
You Might Also Like: Fresh Salsa Recipe from Cooking Light
Latest posts by Christine McCarthy (see all)
- 10 Inspirational, Beautiful and Funny TED Talk Videos to Definitely Watch - December 8, 2013
- Baked Blueberry-Coconut Oatmeal Recipe - December 7, 2013
- 5 Ways Not to Get Stressed Out This Holiday - December 3, 2013