Training for my 1st marathon has proved to be, at various times: exhilarating, boring, tiring, monotonous, exciting, pumped, emotional, sad, lonely, accomplishing, maddening, fun, euphoric… Did I forget any?
Now 5 weeks left in my training, I’ve needed to pull my resources to find some motivation. Many of you, my friends and my family have been a source of great running motivation. Then there is great songs to help motivate the run and running game apps to play.
But sometimes, a simple quote or mantra, can prove to be the greatest source of motivation. When I’m down and tired… many of these quotes or my own positive sayings will pull me through and not let me give up. Sometimes, its what motivates me to get out of bed before the sun rises. The one that quote that really does it for me is the last numbered on on this list.
Here are 30 Motivational Running Quotes:
The First 15:
- “You’re off to great places. Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting so get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
- “If running is difficult, run more.” – Anon
- “Run when you can. Walk if you have to; crawl if you must. Just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
- “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.” -Oprah Winfrey
- “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham
- “That’s the thing about running: your greatest runs are rarely measured by racing success. They are moments in time when running allows you to see how wonderful your life is.” – Kara Goucher
- “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it” – George Bernard Shaw
- “I have to EXERCISE in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing.” – Marsha Doble
- “If one could run without getting tired, I don’t think one would often want to do anything else.” – C. S. Lewis
- “It’s rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud.” -Adidas
- “I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” – Bart Yasso
- “Ask yourself: ‘Can I give more?’. The answer is usually: ‘Yes’.” -Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner
- “Remember the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running.” – Sarah Condor
- “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.” -Les Brown
- “Last is just the slowest winner.” – C. Hunter Boyd
The Next 15:
- “Everyone who has run knows that its most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring.” -Jimmy Carter
- “No one ever drowned in sweat” – Unknown
- “The pain is temporary, The pride lasts forever.” – Unknown
- “I don’t know if there’s a proper way to define toughness in a runner, but I do know that there comes a sudden moment when the mindset shifts. The impossible becomes doable, or at least attemptable. The long run goes from two miles to four to ten to fifteen, until it becomes routine at some point deep in an intense training cycle to knock off a couple hours without giving it a thought.” – Martin Dugard
- “If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don’t spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it.” -Priscilla Welch
- “Some of the world’s greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.” -Doug Larson
- “You’re better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can!” – Ken Chlouber at Leadville
- “When you’re afraid of failure you’re more likely to do it.” – Gordy Ainsleigh
- “The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.” – Bagehot
- “Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Nobody is going to finish this damn thing for me, but me.” – Unknown
- “Run like Zombies are chasing you!” – Unknown
And the Zombies, Run! app is what help bring back my training motivation.
Here will be my quote during my 1st marathon. Ha!:
- “ARRRGH — what in God’s name ever possessed me to think this would be a good thing to do?” – Charles N. Steele
But then I will continue run some more.
Hey Girl Running Motivation
And here is a good one for all you “Hey Girl” Ryan fans, “Hey girl, Let’s stay in tonight and make new routes on mapmyrun.” (source)
then I saw this one, “Hey girl, I’m waiting for you at the finish line.” (source)
I couldn’t decide. So I put both. What are friends for? To give a little motivation.
Question for you: Do you have a favorite running or workout motivational quote to share?
You Might Also Like: Peanut Butter, Banana & Flax Seed Smoothie made with Chobani Greek Yogurt
Latest posts by Christine McCarthy (see all)
- Baked Blueberry-Coconut Oatmeal Recipe - December 7, 2013
- 5 Ways Not to Get Stressed Out This Holiday - December 3, 2013
- Tosi Superbites : A High Energy Gluten-Free Vegan Snack - December 2, 2013